Request your Accommodations Letters and Email Instructors
Have you requested your accommodations so that your Letter of Accommodation can be viewed by your professors in the Faculty Portal? Please follow these 2 steps:
1. To use your accommodations, you will need to complete the following steps through the CAE Student Portal. Please follow instructions from this YouTube video to request that CAE send a letter to the Faculty Portal which tells your instructors what accommodations you have. This letter only informs your instructors that you are a student in their class who is registered with CAE and has approved accommodations. A few reminders about your accommodation letters:
- Once requested, you will either see that your accommodation letter status says “Sent” or “Confirmed.” Your instructors may view the letter, but not confirm it, as these are two separate steps. The letter does not need to be “confirmed” for your accommodations to be active. If you have concerns about receiving your accommodations, you can send your instructor an email to confirm, and copy your CAE Disability Specialist on the email.
Request your letters early in the quarter! We recommend during week 1 or 2 of the quarter. You will complete this step at beginning of each quarter that you want to use your accommodations.
2. After you complete step #1, please also email the following to your instructors and copy your CAE Disability Specialist:
“Dear Instructor, I am registered with the Center for Accessible Education (CAE) and recently submitted a request to make my CAE accommodation letter available to you. You can view my accommodation letter in the Faculty Portal. After clicking on “View Letter,” please complete steps #1 and #2: review the accommodation letter, and confirm receipt of the accommodation letter.
**If you are approved for any EXAM accommodations, add this: I am approved for exam accommodations, and CAE's new procedure is that if you are unable to proctor my exams, you should proceed to immediately fill out the Testing Request form to submit your request for proctoring support—as they require 7-days’ notice.**
If you have any questions about my accommodations, you can follow up with my CAE Disability Specialist, who is copied on this email. Thank you."
How to Schedule an Advising Appointment with your Disability Specialist
Did you know that you can schedule an advising appointment with your Disability Specialist directly through the CAE Student Portal? Here is how:
- Go to our website at https://www.cae.ucla.edu and click on the "Student Portal" in the top right corner of the screen and login in with your UCLA logon information.
- Click on "My schedule"
- Click "Schedule an appointment"
- Select show availability for "Advising appointment"
- Select a day and time for your appointment. Please note: We ask that you do not schedule a same-day or next-day appointment.
- Make sure to click "Confirm this booking" at the end!
Assistive Technology Updates
With the arrival of our new Assistive Technology Specialist, Tony Ferrari, we are excited to begin offering students individual consultations on assistive technology to support learning and integrating technology into your learning processes. From note taking to reading to writing, CAE offers a variety of different solutions to support you with your learning-related disability needs.
CAE Staff Updates
In the winter we introduced a couple more team members at CAE to round out our team! We are very excited to share that the following people have been hired:
- Patti Alaniz-Roux, Associate Director
- Tony Ferrari, Assistive Technology Specialist
We're also excited to share that we will be searching for our next Alternative Formats coordinators to support students who need adjusted course materials and alternative formats to readings.
Testing Center Reminders
Note on Confirming Accommodations
As a reminder to faculty,the process for confirming a student's accommodations through their accommodation letter is different than our requirement that faculty schedule proctored accommodated exams with the CAE Testing Center. Faculty should both confirm the student's accommodation letter AND provide exam information to the CAE Testing Center using the instructions below.
How to Schedule a Proctored Exam with CAE
As a reminder to faculty,the process for requesting testing/proctoring services from the CAE has changed. The procedure longer involves students requesting accommodations for each exam; rather, after reviewing the accommodation letter, faculty, if necessary, will immediately fill out this form to submit their request for proctoring support. Please email email@example.com to request CAE assistance with this process.
Pregnancy Accommodations and Resources
Did you know that the CAE can help support pregnant students? Pregnancy itself is not considered a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Students may be eligible for reasonable accommodations and CAE services for pregnancy-related complications (such as serious health conditions) or other conditions that constitute a disability, including complications that arise postpartum or exacerbations of an existing impairment due to pregnancy.
For more information, please see our resource page for pregnant students and students with pregnancy-related complications.
We have a few different types of drop-in hours, depending on what type of CAE support you are seeking:
Disability Specialist Drop-in Hours
The Disability Specialists are available Monday-Friday to answer quick, general CAE questions for students, staff, and faculty. The drop-in can be joined through the extended link at: https://ucla.zoom.us/j/94963911430 or Meeting ID: 949 6391 1430.
For the Spring 2023 term, we are offering TWO drop-in sessions a day! Please refer the CAE homepage for the specific days and times.
Your Disability Specialist is here to support you! You can email them directly or set up an advising appointment with them through the CAE portal.
Housing Accommodations Drop-In Hours
CAE Housing Accommodations are available for all your CAE Housing Accommodations questions. The drop-in can be joined through the extended link at: https://ucla.zoom.us/my/liliannacae or using the Meeting ID: 488 4161 384.
Please refer the CAE homepage for specific days and times.
You can also contact the CAE Housing Accommodations staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Testing Center Drop-In Hours
The CAE Testing Center are available for all your questions about your exam accommodations and proctoring. ***Please note: the CAE Testing Center does not conduct testing for disabilities (for example: psychoeducational testing for a learning disability or ADHD). The drop-in can be joined through the extended link at: https://ucla.zoom.us/j/98383299060 or using the Meeting ID: 983 8329 9060.
Please refer the CAE homepage for specific days and times.
You can also contact the CAE Testing Center at email@example.com or at 310-825-2651.