Skip to Main Content

For coronavirus information for the UCLA community, please visit the Ashe Center website and UCLA’s information page.

UCLA Center for Accessible Education

If I disagree with an accommodation, do I have any recourse?

Yes. Accommodations are designed to remove disability-related barriers to classroom learning. If you believe a specific academic accommodation fundamentally alters the program of study or your course, please contact the CAE.

Should I automatically extend deadlines on assignments or exams for a CAE-registered student?

Extensions (adjusted deadlines) are handled on a case-by-case basis. Ask the student if the need for an extension is related to their disability. If not, please handle it as you would any student asking for an extension. If this need is related to their disability, please refer to the student's Letter of Accommodation to determine if they are approved for this accommodation. If affirmative, the student should have contacted their CAE Disability Specialist to make the request. If approved, the CAE Disability Specialist will send an accommodation letter directly to you with the adjusted deadline accommodation.

Is it okay to ask a student who is having difficulties if they have a disability?

A direct inquiry about a possible disability is not recommended. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) states that a public entity may not make unnecessary inquiries into the existence of a disability. A direct inquiry such as this could be considered intrusive or insensitive. Treat a student-of-concern as any student would be treated. Suggest a conference with the student where concerns about the quality of their work can be privately discussed. If a student discloses having a disability, it is acceptable to ask them if they are registered with the CAE.

A student registered with the CAE is displaying disruptive behavior in my course. What should I do?

Students registered with the CAE are not exempt from the UCLA Student Conduct Code. UCLA students, even those with disabilities, are considered to be maturing adults and are expected to display appropriate classroom behavior.

Are animals allowed in the classroom?

The only animals allowed in the classroom are Service Animals. Service Animal means any dog or miniature horse that is individually trained to do work or perform a task for an individual with a disability, including physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. The work or tasks performed by the Service Animal must be directly related to the individual’s disability. Service animals are not required to be registered with the CAE or wear a vest or other identifier. They can accompany a student anywhere on campus. In contrast, Assistance Animals are allowed only in the student's dwelling and require CAE registration. Assistance Animals may provide necessary emotional support to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability, but are not considered a Service Animal under the American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA). Assistance Animals can also be identified as a companion animal, therapy animal, or emotional support or support animal.

In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, you may ask two specific questions:

  1. Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
  2. What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

In rare instances, emotional support animals may be approved as a classroom accommodation. Refer to UCLA Policy 135 for more information.