Center for Accessible Education
A-255 Murphy Hall
Van Service Phone: (310) 825-2263
In keeping with the requirements of Federal, State and University Policy, the Center for Accessible Education (CAE) provides on-campus, wheelchair lift-equipped transportation assistance for academic programs and activities. Students with verified permanent and temporary mobility-related disabilities are eligible for this service.
Fall, Winter, Spring Quarters: Monday through Friday, 7:25 A.M. - 5:40 P.M. (Except University observed holidays/breaks)
Summer Session: Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. (Except University observed holidays/breaks)
Eligibility & Initiation of Service
Eligible Riders: CAE Van Service is only available to regularly enrolled University students with a verified permanent or temporary disability and, if applicable, their attendant, assistant, and/or service animal. Unauthorized riders include: friends of registered riders, faculty, staff, and campus visitors.
1. Call or visit the CAE office (see top of page for contact information) to schedule rides. Rides may be scheduled for the quarter or for same-day on a space-available basis(same-day reservations may be arranged only after quarterly scheduled rides are honored). If you are a wheelchair user, please inform CAE when you schedule a ride.
2. Fill out a “Van Rider Intake Form” that is provided upon the first ride or at the CAE office, whichever is more convenient for the rider.
3. Provide medical documentation* verifying a medical condition and the need for transportation assistance. Documentation can be turned in at the CAE office or emailed to Jesse Pantoja at email@example.com. If documentation cannot immediately be provided, a grace period will be given to allow the student to supply the necessary documentation. Failure to provide documentation may result in termination of van service for the rider.
*Medical documentation can be any document from a medical professional/clinician (i.e. emergency room discharge paperwork, follow-up summaries, doctor’s note listing the need for transportation assistance). Alternatively, you can have your doctor fill out the Verification of Disability Form.
Note: Steps 1 and 2 must be completed at the start of every new quarter that van service is needed.
1. The CAE Van will not provide transportation assistance for:
Students with communicable medical conditions
Emergency/urgent medical care
Rides requested outside of the UCLA perimeter (service area boundaries are Sunset Blvd, Hilgard Ave, Wilshire Blvd, Veteran Ave)
2. Requests for rides to and from the UCLA Rehabilitation Center, Ronald Reagan/Ashe Center, or other medical appointments do not have priority and may not always be honored
3. Seat belts must be worn by all passengers. Wheelchair users must utilize the four tie-downs and the seat belt.
4. Drivers are not permitted to perform attendant duties (e.g. extending a hand to steady a rider user is permissible but lifting a rider in any way is not).
5. No eating, drinking, or smoking while in the CAE van.
6. Repeated cancellations/no-shows may result in a reduction of service. Additionally, if a rider misses a scheduled pick-up during the day, the remainder of scheduled rides for that day may be cancelled unless CAE is contacted for arrangements.
Procedures for Weekday CAE Van Service
The CAE Van follows the most logical route for pick-ups and drop-offs. Therefore, the first passenger on the van may not always be the first dropped off. Riders may be clustered in the early morning or late afternoon to accommodate the heavy demand for van service. Moreover, due to the frequent heavy demand for requests, rides may be scheduled an hour earlier or later than what is requested.
It is requested that riders arrive five minutes early to their pick-up spot. Because we may schedule multiple riders in the same time slot, we ask that riders wait at least five to ten minutes at the designated area and make themselves clearly visible. Additionally, due to the often heavy demand for rides and a tight schedule, the van may only be able to wait for two to three minutes past a scheduled pick-up time. If any concerns arise regarding a scheduled ride, riders may call the van service phone line between 8:00A.M.to 5:00P.M.—(310) 825-2263—to check in on the current status of the van.
Riders who desire to make a change in their schedule should do so at least 24 hours in advance. Cancellations should be phoned in as far in advance as possible. Changes, including additions, cannot always be accommodated. Since the CAE phone lines are only open during normal business hours (8:00AM-5:00PM), scheduling any rides between 7:25AM-8:00AM and 5:20PM-5:40PM must always be scheduled at least a day in advance.
Other Campus Transportation Options for Students with Disabilities
UCLA SAFE Ride– UCLA Community Service Officers (CSO) provide complimentary transportation services to all students, staff, faculty, and visitors through UCLA Safe Ride Monday through Thursday, 7 p.m. to 12 a.m. (excluding holidays and breaks). For more information, please visit UCLA Transportation's website on nighttime safety mobility.
Campus Express – A full fleet of wheelchair lift-equipped buses follow roundtrip routes from Weyburn Terrace to the MacGowan bus turnaround with designated stops in between. The campus express stops approximately every 6-15 minutes from 7am to 8pm, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). For more information, please visit UCLA's Transportation's website on BruinBus schedules.