CAE Accommodations

Adaptive Equipment

Please schedule an appointment with a Disability Counselor to learn more about adaptive equipment that might be available through the Center for Accessible Education.

Alternative Format

Students with visual or learning disabilities who are unable to read standard printed material may have classroom materials converted into alternative formats. This includes Braille, audiotape, e-text, and large print. We can also help connect students with existing resources that offer books in alternative formats.

  • Campus Orientation 
  • Students with disabilities may request accommodations for orientation. The student will learn to traverse the campus as they would during a regular day - going from the classroom to labs, lecture halls, or bus stops.

Disability Transportation

Students may need assistance in getting to and from campus locations. Students with permanent and temporary mobility impairments can arrange for on-campus van service to assist them in traveling around campus and to adjacent residential areas. Proximate parking, when appropriate, can be arranged. More information on CAE van service. Students with a documented disability or medical condition may apply for a pre-approved parking permit. More information on disability-related parking services.

Emotional Support Animals and Service Animals

Students who require the use of a service dog or who are requesting to have an emotional support animal in university owned housing can apply, via the CAE, for approval. Service dogs are allowed to accompany a student with a disability just about anywhere students are allowed – residence halls, Bruin buses, classrooms, campus restaurants, libraries, etc. In contrast to service dogs, therapy animals, also known as emotional support animals (ESA) or companion animals, are allowed in University housing with a recommendation from the Housing Appeals Board.

The CAE cannot request that therapy animals be allowed in classrooms, libraries, Bruin buses, and the like. Consistent with the University policy on animals, dogs are required to be on 6-feet (or shorter) leash and under the control of the owner.

Click here for the service animal/emotional support animal request application.


The Disabled Student Housing Appeals Board (DSHAB) reviews housing requests – in the form of an appeal – for students with specific, disability-based housing needs for university-owned housing. Additionally, the DSHAB reviews appeals from faculty, staff, and post-doctoral fellows who reside in university housing. The Board also reviews housing appeals from undergraduate and graduate students on behalf of the dependents who live with them in university housing. On campus housing appeals may also include dining requests to address disability-based dietary needs (ie gluten-free).


The CAE offers notetaking services for students with qualifying disabilities. Your documentation should detail your functional limitations and how notetaking services help mitigate the impact of your disability. The CAE offers peer notetaking, Livescribe pens, and Sonocent audio notetaking. A CAE counselor can explain to you all of our notetaking options.

Priority Enrollment

Priority Enrollment is available for undergraduate students through URSA. Priority Enrollment allows undergraduate students to enroll in the college or school maximum unit limit (usually 18 or 19 units) before enrollment is open to all undergraduate students. There is no Priority Enrollment for summer classes. First quarter students (freshmen and transfer students) are not eligible for Priority Enrollment until their second quarter at the University. The CAE recommends that students check with their academic advisors, department, college counselors, or the Registrar’s Office for specific academic, program, and degree requirements.


The CAE offers proctoring services for students who require alternative test-taking conditions. Depending upon the student’s documentation, exam accommodations may include an exam in alternative format (Braille, large print, etc.), additional time, one-on-one assistance (reader or writer), a private exam room, or a separate testing environment. Students taking exams via the CAE Proctoring Center will be held to the same standards as that of their classmates. Instructions on how to request exam accommodations.

Real-Time Captioning

Real-time Captioning may be available for hearing-impaired students. We require that students receiving real-time captioning services not share notes or transcripts with any other students, or use notes for any other purpose other than as class study notes without consultation with the CAE and the expressed consent of the professor.

Research Assistance

The CAE can provide a comprehensive and individualized approach to research assistance based on the functional limitations of your disability. In order to initiate service, students must register with the CAE. Your specific research needs can be discussed with your CAE counselor.

Sign Language Interpreters

Sign Language interpreters can be provided for academic or University activities. To ensure quality of service for our students, the CAE provides two interpreters for classes of more than one hour in length. The CAE will provide either sign language or real-time captioning based on the student's preferred communication method.